16.8.11

My Gym Routine

So first things first, I think I'm going to actively try to start blogging again.. Just about anything and everything of course.. I enjoy doing beauty product reviews, restaurant reviews, etc. It'll also be a good way for me to share (with myself) what I've been doing with my life!!

Anyway, recently Julian linked me to a blog called Fat Loss Ninja -- a guy from Toronto writes a series of blog posts about fitness and stuff like that... I've recently started going to the gym again (yay me!) because i need to lose some serious weight!

This blog is interesting -- he talks about Intermittent Fasting. Yes, i know this sounds crazy but i think it'll work! There are two types: 24 Hour Fasts or the 16-8 Fasts (fast for 16 hrs, then eat within 8 hrs, repeat). (more info here). So i thought to myself.. this 16-8 fast shouldn't be that hard.. I never used to eat breakfast (i still don't really), and my first meal of the day would be lunch! The only thing is, he advocates that i should have 3 full meals within that 8 hour time frame.. HMM.... that might be a challenge. I would normally juts eat Lunch and then Dinner. But i think i can pack some extra food to eat at 4.. head to the gym at 6 .. come home for dinner.. yeah that sounds good..

So we'll see how this works out..

My current gym routine at about 3 times a week is:
- 30-40 minutes of cardio at the gym
-30-40 minutes of free weights, barbells and dumbbells.

I used to go to pump classes (les mills!) at goodlife, so i try to remember the different types of exercises with the barbells that is done so i can do them myself. I may need to go to another class or two to refresh my memory! The most I can remember are the squats, working out the triceps and biceps, and yeah.. i think thats about it.. seeing that there aren't too many exercises for the abs with barbells and dumbbells! :)

I also bought a set of resistance bands (theyre like dynabands -- no handles!) so when i come home from the gym, im trying to do another short circuit of workouts at home with these bands. I don't really want to be carrying so much equipment to the gym.

Another interesting thing that i've discovered about myself is that i don't necessarily need headphones at the gym to listen to music or watch TV. I think its too much of a distraction for me and i tend to just "slow down" during the TV program and then i'll run during commercials.. This is no good. Commercials are only 2 minutes long.. at most! i need to run more!!
So instead of listening, i just concentrate on my 30 minute routine... Interval training is key! so in my mind, i break up my 30 minute runs into 3 thirds.

1:00-3:00 - walk at 3.5 and incline at 8.0 or 9.0 (if you run at an incline, it will help you run faster. Incline running/walking also tone your calves i think!)
3:00 - 8 - run at 5.5 or 6.5 and incline at 1.5
8:00-9:00 - run at 7.5 or 8.0 and incline 1.5 (here comes the "sprinting"!)
9:00-10:00 - walk at 3.5 and incline 3.0 or 4.0.. and just cool down a bit...

and then repeat this 3 times till you run for 30 minutes! For me, i don't mind if i run over 30 minutes, as long as i burn at least 300 calories. I know i know... calories on these cardio machines are NOT ACCURATE! (yes, its true!! i think... ) but it gives me a general guideline at least :) It also makes me feel better about myself because after this cardio session, anything i do after should be burning fat... right?

No comments: